Archaeological Sites – Monuments

http://Ancient%20Theatre%20of%20Mytilene

Ancient Theatre of Mytilene

http://Tsarsi%20Hamam%20of%20Mytilene

Tsarsi Hamam of Mytilene

http://Yeni%20Mosque%20of%20Mytilene

Yeni Mosque of Mytilene

http://Castle%20of%20Mithymna

Castle of Mithymna

http://Vareltzidena%20Mansion%20of%20Petra

Vareltzidena Mansion of Petra

http://Castle%20of%20Mytilene

Castle of Mytilene

http://Castle%20of%20Sigri

Castle of Sigri


 

Sanctuary of Messon

This sanctuary is probably dedicated to the triple cult of Zeus, Dionysus and Hera, who were worshipped in Lesvos, at this specific location called “Koukala” or “Kokkala” within the borders of the ancient territory of Pyrra. More: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.SP?obj_id=2560

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=2560

Sanctuary of Klopedi

This sanctuary is one of the most important samples of archaic architecture of the island. It is located west of Agia Paraskevi and is probably dedicated to Apollo Napaios. More: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=20764

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=20764

Archaeological Site of Thermi

The prehistoric settlement of Thermi is located on the east coast of the island of Lesvos, 10 km north of the city of Mytilene. The archaeological research revealed an important settlement of the Early Bronze Age (3200-2400 BC) with five successive building phases (Thermi I-V), as well as building remains of the Middle and Late Bronze Age (2000 – 1300 BC).
More: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=18324

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=18324

Ancient theatre of Mytilene

The ancient theatre of Mytilene was built in the early Hellenistic period, as shown by the architectural parts. During the Late Roman period the theatre was reconstructed and acquired its present form.
More: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=752

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=752

Castle of Mytilene

Built on top of a pine-covered hill near the port, the castle of Mytilene occupies an area of about 60 acres and it is one of the biggest castles in the Mediterranean. Its present form is a result of the building activity of Gattilusi, who dominated the island during the period 1355 to 1462 and of the Ottomans, who conquered Lesvos from 1462 to 1912, while only three sections have survived from the Byzantine phase: one small gate in the north side of the walls, the eastern wall of the central fortification and the tank in the castle.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=15684)

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=15684

Castle of Mithymna

The castle of Molyvos is located in the northern part of the island, at the site of ancient Mithymna. It is the second castle of Lesvos in size and importance. It was built during the Byzantine era on top of ancient remnants of extensive walls, built in order to face Franks’ and Turks’ raids. It was completed in 1373 by the Genovese Francisco A. Gattilusi. Most parts of its current form (ramparts, citadel, entrance) date back to the Ottoman era with more than one building phases.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=15685)

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=15685

Castle of Sigri

The castle of Sigri is one of the later fortifications on the island. It is located at the westernmost tip of Lesvos and was built in 1757 by Suleiman Pasha, the admiral of the Ottoman fleet, to protect the area from pirate raids and to ensure the smooth movement of goods.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=7781)

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=7781

Acropolis of Eressos

Ancient Eressos was founded after the colonization of the island by the Aeolians. During the Hellenistic period the city was extended to the port.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=2375)

Visit Information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=2375

Tower of Tsoukaladelli in Thermi

The tower of Tsoukaladelli is located at the village of Thermi in Lesvos, 15 km. from Mytilene. It is a stone building with a square plan that is developed in four floors.
It is one of the oldest mansions preserved on the island. It formed the core of a big farm and it was used by the owners as a holiday home. Its tower-like form with the protruding upper floor and the defensive character with the wooden sachnisi (a projecting roofed balcony) have already been known from the houses of Byzantine landowners and they were particularly prevalent in post-Byzantine times, during which the historical conditions imposed the defensive character of the buildings.
Both the construction of the building, during which ancient building materials were used, and its architectural and morphological elements date from the 18th century.
Visit information:
Opening hours: 10:00 to 13:00
Contact numbers: 22510 40135-6 (weekdays 07:00 to 15:30) and 22510 27970 (08:00 to 15:00, Saturday and Sunday)

Vareltzidena Mansion of Petra

The Vareltzidena Mansion is located on the north side of Lesvos. It is an important example of urban architecture of the late Ottoman period of the island. The present name is a translation of the surname of the owners of the mansion, Bardaktsoglou (Bardak is a Turkish word that means barrel), who marketed the wine.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=16441)

Visit information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=16441

Roman Aqueduct of Moria

The remains of a Roman aqueduct are found in the area of Moria, about 6 km from the city of Mytilene. It is estimated that the Roman aqueduct was built in the late 2nd century AD by Hadrian, the Roman emperor. It was used for the water transportation from the springs of Olympos Mountain to the ancient city of Mytilene, in a distance of about 26 km.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=1832)

Visit information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1832

Yeni Mosque of Mytilene

It is the biggest and most recent Islamic mosque in Mytilene, located in the center of the former ottoman market, in the neighborhood known today as Epano Skala. The Yeni Mosque was built by Moustafa Aga Koulaxizi in about 1825.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=1704)

Visit information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1704

Tsarsi Hamam of Mytilene

Tsarsi Hamam (Hamam of the market) is part of the adjacent complex of Yeni Mosque. It was located in the center of the market of the Ottoman district Azizie. Although there is no report of its construction in the available historical sources, its morphological characteristics refer to the first quarter of the 19th century.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=15721)

Visit information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=15721

Ancient Mythimna

Mythimna, the location of which was identified with the current town of Molyvos, was founded at the end of Bronze Age, probably after the arrival of the Aeolians. It flourished during the Archaic period and had its greatest extent at that time. From the 4th century BC, the city was limited to the acropolis and Dapia, where a big part of the defensive wall of the Hellenistic period is preserved, which was later incorporated in today’s Medieval Castle.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh352.jsp?obj_id=2563)

Visit information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/gh355.jsp?obj_id=2563

Kaloktistos (well-built) Apothikas

Monumental retaining wall, longer than 50 meters and approximately 5meters high. It is structured with the elaborate polygonal system of Lesvos, which is characterized by the curvature of each stone and the use of a lead rule in order to join them.
More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=832)

Visit information: http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=832

ΓΕΩΠΑΡΚΟ ΛΕΣΒΟΥ - LESVOS GEOPARK
1