Latest Monuments

http://City%20Hall%20of%20Mytilene

City Hall of Mytilene

http://Mansion%20in%20Lesvos

Mansion in Lesvos

http://Girls'%20school%20of%20Mytilene

Girls' school of Mytilene

http://Mansion%20in%20Lesvos

Mansion in Lesvos

http://Mansion%20in%20Lesvos

Mansion in Lesvos

http://Mansion%20in%20Lesvos

Mansion in Lesvos

http://Lesvos%20Prefecture%20Building

Lesvos Prefecture Building

http://Olive%20Press%20of%20Agia%20Paraskevi

Olive Press of Agia Paraskevi

http://School%20of%20Agia%20Paraskevi

School of Agia Paraskevi

 

City Hall of Mytilene


It is a two-storey eclectic style building with profound neoclassical elements. It was built in 1900 at the expense of the City to house its offices. The building of the old Town Hall is located at the city’s waterfront. For many years it had housed the City’s services.
Today, the first floor hosts the City Council Assembly and a ceremonial hall, while the ground floor houses the Library and halls for some of the cultural activities of the Municipality.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=795

Lesvos Prefecture Building


This is a neoclassical building of the early 20th century. It is a two-storey impressive building in the center of the city. It presents a strict symmetry at the openings of its facets.
It was initially built to house the City Hall’s services.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1727

Central Lyceum of Mytilene


It is an impressive building of neoclassical architecture that houses the Science High School and the 1st High School of Mytilene. It has a U-shaped floor plan. It is three-storey high and consists of the basement (auxiliary spaces), the ground-floor (classrooms) and the first floor (library and ceremonial hall). The architectural elements of the facade are covered by white marble.
It was made by Argyris Adalis, a local architect, who had also worked as assistant to the German architects, Hansen and Ziller. The construction of the building was in 1888 – 1890 and it was financed by the benefactors of Lesvos, M. Mitrelias and Z. Vournazos. In 1912 it was used by the Greek Liberating army.
It is located in the city center and has become a reference point for residents and a tourist attraction.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1792

Girls' school of Mytilene


It is a building of rectangular profile with a firm symmetry at the openings on both floors. Great emphasis is given to the decoration of the main entrance with neoclassical elements (pediments, columns, lintels, etc.). The big wooden staircase inside is particularly interesting.
The building is located in the historical center of the city. Its construction was financed by the local benefactor, Z. Vournazos. The architect’s name remains unknown. The construction was completed in 1899 and since the building was inaugurated it has been used as a school.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1787

Windmill of Perama, Geras


The windmill of Perama at Geras is built just outside the village of Papados at Geras, just in front of the tannery of Sourlagka. It is located literally on the sea, where the bay of Gera is so narrow that the wind is quite strong either it is north or south. It is an integral part of a complex of industrial buildings, chimneys of olive mills, the settlement of Perama, the sea and the green slopes of olive trees of the Bay of Gera. The windmill is one of the monuments of production and trade and it dates from the early 20th century. More: (http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=1278)
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1278

Olive Press of Agia Paraskevi


It is a stone building of excellent architecture of the early 20th century (1910), a typical example of industrial architecture. The Olive Press is a part of all the significant industrial buildings on the island.
First it was an Industry complex (olive mill, grain mill) and then it became a community enterprise until 1967.
In 1984, with the support of the Prefecture of Lesvos, it was restored and converted into a cultural center. The main building was transformed into a multi-purpose hall with a capacity of 400 people, while the olive oil storehouse became a Folklore Museum and the olive storerooms beame modern guestrooms.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=810

School of Agia Paraskevi


It is a school building of neoclassical architecture of the early 20th century (1922 to 1930), with a U-shaped floor plan and perfect symmetry of its openings. The formation of the school yard is also remarkable. It is one of the most attractive school buildings on the island. It was financed with revenues of the oil press of the town.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1817

Multi-Cultural Centre at Polichnitos


This rectangular building is a characteristic example of the industrial architecture of Lesvos island – specifically of the area of Polychnitos – with its stone “slovelikia” that decorate every opening on the facets. For many years it had been used as an olive press.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1789

Mesagros Bakery


The Bakery in Mesagros (former bakery of Marmarellis – Chatzikonstantis) belongs to the Ministry of Culture since 1985 and it is located in the village of Mesagros. It belongs to the monuments of production and trade. This is a ground floor stone house, built in the early 20th century and operated until the late 1970s as a bakery.
On the northern wall there is a fresco of Theophilus (dimensions: 3.60 x 3.50 m.). It is dated around the 1930s and represents scenes from the history of bread. The interior architecture is very interesting (a traditional way of producing bread) with the typical dough-moulding loft. The restoration of the building has been made so as to operate as small folk museum.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=1279

Mansions of Lesvos


The exquisite mansions of Lesvos, examples of the financial strength of the past, are the unquestionable trademark of its residential identity.
Most of them were built in the late 18th and early 19th century by wealthy bourgeois merchants, who acquired great wealth from their economic activities, as they took advantage of the key trade position of the island between East and West.
They combine elements of classical Greek architecture with many western European architectural features. They consist of lofts, marble decorations, the well-known “sachnisia” and “tzamota” of the local architecture, stunning gardens, marble staircase, painted ceilings, murals and paved streets. You can see impressive mansions not only in the city, in the area of Sourada, Kioski, Varia, but also in the villages of the island, Molyvos, Plomari, Polichnitos, Gera, Agia Paraskevi, etc.

Residence of Vournazos


The mansion, which houses the old Archaeological Museum of Mytilene, was constructed in 1912 by Achilleas Vournazos and it was designed by Vafeiadis, an architect from Smyrni. The eclectic building consists of two main floors and a ground floor for auxiliary use. The two floors and the ground floor are connected by a wooden staircase. From the courtyard two marble staircases that were built opposite lead to the first floor. In 1965 it was bought by the Ministry of Culture in order to become a museum.
The exhibition which was inaugurated on July 13, 1991 is the same that exists today. (Permanent exhibition in the Old Archaeological Museum of Mytilene)
The Museum building is located at a short distance from the castle of the city and together they constitute a united archaeological site.
Visit Information:
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh255.jsp?obj_id=5743

ΓΕΩΠΑΡΚΟ ΛΕΣΒΟΥ - LESVOS GEOPARK
1